top of page

Food for thought!!

The other day I was pondering the theme of my next blog and I came across this quote from Bill Beattie in a professional magazine. He said ……

“The aim of education should be to teach us how to think, not what to think – rather to improve our minds, so as to enable us to think for ourselves, than to load the memory with thoughts of other men.”

…… and I thought WOW – got it in one!!

This statement really resonated with me because it so clearly defines what it is we aim to achieve. I quite often have this conversation when I ask them what they want to achieve for their child from a year at preschool. I all too often hear I want them to learn to write and know their numbers and sometimes even learn to read. What I believe is more important we teach them how to think!! The other stuff comes easily with the ability to think developed. More importantly learning that the child understands is the learning that stays with them and gives them the ability to apply their knowledge wherever it is needed. Nearly every child can rote count and recite the alphabet but NOT every child knows and understands what letters and numbers mean and how they can be used. Food for thought!!!

Yours in Education,

Hubby

31 May 2016

Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Search By Tags
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
bottom of page